Crowns are often referred to as “caps” since they cover and protect the entire outer surface of the prepared tooth structure, like a baseball cap fits over one’s head.
A Crown fits over the existing natural tooth & replaces the natural crown, the part of the tooth above the gums.
Crowns can be done because of the following
- Tooth Decay
- Root Canal
- Worn down teeth
Bridges replace one or more missing teeth. They consist of an artificial tooth anchored to the natural teeth on each side of the gap.
Reason for replacing missing teeth
- To improve appearance
- To prevent stresses causing damage to other teeth
- To prevent teeth near the gap from shifting
- To maintain the natural bite
- To improve chewing ability
It would require at least two appointments for preparation and fitting of crown or bridge. Sometimes a tooth may need a RCT filling & perhaps a post, before crown or bridge treatment.
Preparation of a Crown
- Area is numbed with Local anesthetic, the tooth is shaped using a drill, making it smaller by one or two mm.
- After shaping, an accurate impression is taken to record the changes to the prepared tooth.
- Impressions are sent to a dental technician who makes the crown according to specifications set by the dentist.
- To protect the prepared tooth, a temporary crown is attached to the reshaped tooth with temporary cement.
- At the next appointment the temporary crown is removed, the new permanent crown is placed over the reshaped tooth to check that shape, fit, bite and colour match properly.
- If they do, the crown is cemented to the tooth with dental cement. The dental cement usually sets after one hour & reaches its full strength in 24 hours.
- Minor adjustment is often needed to achieve comfort.
Preparation for a bridge is similar to that of a crown.
If you would like to book an appointment or if you have any questions about Crowns & Bridges, Please Contact us or ring our friendly staff at Tooth Smart Dental on (07) 3399 6228.